Report an Absence
Regular attendance is vital to a student's success in Irvine International Academy. The student who is frequently absent often misses social interaction and direct instruction from his/her teachers even though written work can be made up. Any day or hour absent is a missed learning opportunity. In addition, the Irvine International Academy loses funding for each absence, regardless of the reason; including illness or excused absences.
Because of our commitment to quality education, we are concerned when a student misses Irvine International Academy for any reason. Students who are excessively absent from Irvine International Academy are not able to accomplish their educational goals. According to the California Compulsory Attendance Laws (Education Code 48200), parents and students are responsible for regular Irvine International Academy attendance.
Irvine International Academy is a full-time seat program. Our school hours are from 8:15 a.m. to 2:45 p.m. on regular school days and 8:15 a.m. to 1:15 p.m. We expect every student to be on time and present each and every day that school is in session.-
Truancies are not acceptable at Irvine International Academy. Truancy is defined as an unexcused absence without a written excuse from parent/guardian or IIA staff member. Truancy is also defined as excessive tardiness, even a few minutes is tardy.
When families choose to attend Irvine International Academy, it is assumed that they are serious about their educational experiences and will avoid missing classes or activities.
Valid Excuse - Notwithstanding Section 48200, a pupil shall be excused from Irvine International Academy when the absence is:
- Due to his or her illness.
- Due to quarantine under the direction of a county or city health Attendance Clerk.
- For the purpose of having medical, dental, optometric, or chiropractic services rendered.
- For the purpose of attending the funeral services of a member of his or her immediate family, so long as the absence is not more than one day if the service is conducted in California and not more than three days if the service is conducted outside California.
- For the purpose of jury duty in the manner provided for by law.
- Due to the illness or medical appointment during Irvine International Academy hours of a child of whom the pupil is the custodial parent.
- For justifiable personal reasons, including, but not limited to, an appearance in court, attendance at a funeral service, observance of a holiday or ceremony of his or her religion, attendance at religious retreats, attendance at an employment conference, or attendance at an educational conference on the legislative or judicial process offered by a nonprofit organization when the pupil’s absence is requested in writing by the parent or guardian and approved by the principal or a designated representative pursuant to uniform standards established by the governing board.
- For the purpose of serving as a member of a precinct board for an election pursuant to Section 12302 of the Elections Code.
- For the purpose of spending time with a member of the pupil’s immediate family, who is an active duty member of the uniformed services, as defined in Section 49701, and has been called to duty for, is on leave from, or has immediately returned from, deployment to a combat zone or combat support position. Absences granted pursuant to this paragraph shall be granted for a period of time to be determined at the discretion of the superintendent of the Irvine International Academy district.
Students are to attend school each day unless they are ill (fever, vomiting or rash). Every effort should be made to schedule doctor's appointments after school hours. When that is not possible, please schedule near the end of the school day or have your child return to school after the visit with a written note from the doctor. Family vacations should be scheduled during school breaks. There are multiple problems resulting from vacations that cause students to miss instruction: 1) Independent Study Contracts must be developed well in advance of the trip by the classroom teacher, 2) failure to follow through with a contract results in loss of funding to the district, 3) your child will miss the instruction and collaboration that cannot be replaced with vacation homework, 4) requirements of the I.S. contract are that the child do an equal type and amount of class works as the students remaining at school, reducing the pleasure of the trip 5) the classroom teacher is required to complete additional paperwork on top of an already hectic schedule. Please schedule your vacations during the school breaks marked in your Parent Handbook.